Symbian OS Platform Security
Paper edition in English
Paper edition in Japanese
Paper edition in Chinese
Reproduced by kind permission of John Wiley & Sons.
Sample chapter in PDF
Part 1 - Introduction to Symbian OS Platform Security
Part 2 - Application Development for Platform Security
- 03. The Platform Security Environment
- 04. How to Write Secure Applications
- 05. How to Write Secure Servers
- 06. How to Write Secure Plug-ins
- 07. Sharing Data Safely
Part 3 - Managing Platform Security Attributes
Part 4 - The Future of Mobile Device Security
- 10. The Servant in Your Pocket
- Appendix A: Capability Descriptions
- Appendix B: Some Cryptography Basics
- Appendix C: The Software Install API
Back Cover Blurb
Symbian OS is an advanced, customizable operating system, which is licensed by the world′s leading mobile phone manufacturers. The latest versions incorporate an enhanced security architecture designed to protect the interests of consumers, network operators and software developers.
The security architecture of Symbian OS v9 is relevant to all security practitioners and will influence the decisions made by every developer that uses Symbian OS in the creation of devices or add–on applications. Symbian OS Platform Security covers the essential concepts and presents the security features with accompanying code examples.
This introductory book highlights and explains:
- the benefits of platform security on mobile devices
- key concepts that underlie the architecture, such as the core principles of ‘trust’, ‘capability’ and data ‘caging’
- how to develop on a secure platform using real–world examples
- an effective approach to writing secure applications, servers and plug–ins, using real–world examples
- how to receive the full benefit of sharing data safely between applications
- the importance of application certification and signing from the industry ‘gatekeepers’ of platform security
- a market–oriented discussion of possible future developments in the field of mobile device security
Copyright © 2006, Symbian Ltd.